How to Create Content That Earns Links & Increases Your Traffic
by Mark Thomas
Experts whom are associated with SEO industry knows that there are no specified guidelines or roadmap for success in SEO. Each application or website has its own strategy. Case studies of top influencers are helpful and can be good source of actionable tips for people looking to rank their websites and applications.
In a recent case study of Nicole DeLeon, Owner and Lead Strategist for North Star Inbound she showed how are agency created content, earned awesome links, and increased the traffic of an enterprise real estate client.
To solve the client’s problem, DeLeon and her team:
- Created 14 pieces of content.
- Built 1,800 links from distinctive referring domains (with an average Moz Domain Authority of 28).
- Produced results – 316 percent growth in organic traffic – in 13 months
So the question is how they did it? Here is their complete strategy.
Picking a link audience
Before content creation you should figure out what you are creating links for. Many businesses define their audience as buyers. So, if you want to find out whether your buyer persona is a linking person, you can go to Google and put in the related search phrase, for example, homebuyersinurl:links.
Research down to each result to find out if the links are good to use or not.
Look for people with issues and problems related to what you do.
For example, if you have a mattress store, you might not find good link prospects, only a whole bunch of other mattress stores. But if you think outside of the box and shift the gears from your product to the problem that your product solves, you might uncover better opportunities.
Creation of linkable asset
Your content should:
- Provide enough information to completely solve your audience’s problem.
- Be better than anyone else’s content.
- Grab and keep attention.
- Offer lots of actionable information.
- Be organized into checklists.
Create tangential content
Tangential content is anything that can affect your buyers which is not related to your product or service. It is one of the most effective and helpful ways to drive traffic to your website. When tangential content is not directly related to your product or service, it doesn’t mean that it is not relevant. For example; in real estate business, services are mostly related to home or buildings buying and selling. Some tangential content can be related to home improvement, holiday preparation and home safety.
Tangential content broadens the reach of your campaigns giving you access to new audiences and puts your brand in front of more people.
- To achieve success, the client needs a long-term commitment to off page SEO.
- You can’t anticipate to attain good result with only a single piece of content. A continued effort with several pieces of content is needed to get positive results.
- Focus on different parts of the industry and explore different audiences (i.e., underserved audiences etc).
- Don’t hesitate to write tangential content.